The Sword is one of the most important tools on Minecraft. It is used for attacking mobs and mining certain blocks quicker (Cobwebs). While tools cause damage too, the Sword does more and does not take a double durability penalty. Swords do more damage than just hands or another item will. It is mandatory to attack and kill some mobs, such as Endermen (for their Ender Pearls) and Blazes (for their Blaze Rods) if you wish to kill the Ender Dragon and as such beat the final boss. Swords may have Enchantments put on them to improve their properties.
These blocks are all mined the fastest by a Sword.
How to obtain
- Crafted with 2 Wood Planks/cobblestone/Gold Ingots/Iron Ingots/diamonds and 1 stick
- Villager Chests (Iron only)
- On SMP, a Zombie may have picked up a Sword dropped by another player, and may drop it upon being killed.
- Occasionally found in Dungeons.
- Though the Gold Sword is harder to obtain than the Wood, Stone, or Iron Sword, it is much weaker, with a durability of 33 uses.
- The Gold Sword's only advantage over the others is that, in version 1.9, right-clicking while holding a Gold Sword would summon the Ender Dragon. However, this no longer happens when right-clicking.
- The Iron Sword's texture was created first. This is because it was used in another game Notch created.
Power and durability
|Breakable||Pickaxe • Axe • Shovel • Hoe • Sword • Armor|
|Other||Compass • Clock • Name Tag • Lead • Horse Armor|
|Transportation||Minecart • Minecart with Furnace • Carrot on a Stick|