String is fairly important in Minecraft, due to it being used to craft the Bow and other useful items. It is dropped by Spiders and Cave Spiders upon death. It can be used with Tripwire Hooks to make a Tripwire, but otherwise is a crafting ingredient.
When placed, String forms Tripwire. This can be attached to a Tripwire Hook to make a line that most entities (even projectiles such as thrown Splash Potions and Ender Pearls) moving across will trigger.
- Make Bows and Fishing Rods with String and Sticks.
- Make Wool with 4 String.
- Make Leads with String and Slimeballs.
- There have been rumors that colored string may be added, but these are not confirmed.
- These would (supposedly) be used to craft colored wool directly.
- String itself can cause an update.
- Therefore, an Observer can detect an update if an Entity is walking through it.
|Base||Blaze Rod • Charcoal • Clay (Item) • Coal • Cocoa Bean • Diamond • Egg • Emerald • Flint • Glowstone Dust • Gold Nugget • Gunpowder • Ink Sac • Lapis Lazuli • Leather • Nether Quartz • Nether Star • Prismarine Crystal • Prismarine Shard • Rabbit's Foot • Rabbit Hide • Seeds • String • Sugar Cane|
|Crafted||Bone Meal • Book • Bowl • Brick (Item) • Charcoal • Dye • Gold Ingot • Nether Brick (Item) • Stick • Sugar • Wheat|