Packed Ice is a block released in the 1.7 update. It is currently uncraftable and will appear only in Ice Plains Spikes Biomes, where it forms spikes of ice that dot the landscape. Packed Ice, though similar to Ice, will have some useful differences, each of which are listed here.
How To Obtain
Packed Ice can only be obtained by visiting an Ice Spikes Biome, where the spikes are made of Packed Ice. You must mine it with a silk touch tool, as it will not drop if mined with anything else.
- It cannot be melted, meaning it can make nice Ice structures that can be lit up.
- It is a solid block, meaning Torches, Ladders, etc. can be placed on it.
- When broken, it does not form Water. This is helpful in event of a Creeper attack, meaning you won't have to clean up lots of Water.
- Although it is packed, Packed Ice cannot be crafted, for example, from 4 Ice.
- Snow cannot form on Packed Ice.
|Surface||Dirt • Grass Block • Podzol • Mycelium • Grassless Dirt • Sand • Gravel • Clay • Moss Stone • Wood • Red Sand • Packed Ice • Snow • Snow (Cover) • Ice • Water • Lava|
|Underground||Stone • Coal Ore • Iron Ore • Gold Ore • Lapis Lazuli Ore • Diamond Ore • Redstone Ore • Emerald Ore|
|Dimension Specific||Netherrack • Soul Sand • Glowstone • Nether Quartz Ore • End Stone|
|Structure Specific||Cobblestone • Wood Planks • Fence • Nether Brick (Block) • Stone Brick • Mossy Stone Brick • Cracked Stone Brick • Chiseled Stone Brick • Torch • Sea Lantern • Dark Prismarine • Prismarine Bricks • Prismarine • Glass Pane|
|Decoration||Fern • Large Fern • Tall Grass • Double Tallgrass • Lilac • Peony • Rose Bush • Sunflower • Poppy • Dandelion • Blue Orchid • Allium • Azure Bluet • Oxeye Daisy • Tulip • Lily Pad • Sugar Cane • Vines • Cactus|