The Monster Spawner is a cagelike block that continually spawns mobs of the spawner's type if the player is within range and the spawning requirements are met.
These cannot be obtained in legitimate survival Minecraft, and can only be obtained by the /give command or an inventory editor. However, those given to the player will only give Pig spawners.
- Dungeons: Dungeons have either a Zombie (50% chance), Skeleton, or Spider (both 25% chance) spawner.
- Abandoned Mineshafts: Abandoned Mineshafts have Cave Spider spawners.
- Strongholds: Strongholds have a Silverfish spawner.
- Nether Fortresses: Nether Fortresses have Blaze spawners and in a current bug magma cube spawners
Creeper, Enderman, Magma Cube, Slime, Giant, Witch, Wither, Ghast and passive mob spawners can only be obtained with an inventory editor and do not appear in the world. Note that Slime spawners do not work at the moment.
- Although they appear to be cages, they are still solid blocks.
- In Enderman spawners, the Enderman's head sticks out of the top of the frame.
- In Ghast spawners, the Ghast sticks out of the frame.
- In Giant spawners, only the giant's feet are in the frame.