Cave Spiders are hostile arthropods having similar behaviour to the regular Spider. They spawn from Monster Spawners in Abandoned Mineshafts, but not anywhere else unless the player interferes. They are a bit smaller than Spiders (1x1.5x0.5 blocks) and have a distinct bluish tinge, especially around the head. Cave Spiders, like Spiders, lunge to attack when the player is close enough. When they hit, they inflict Poison on enemies, unlike normal Spiders, unless th difficulty is set to Easy. There is no special need to kill them, as they drop the same items as the more common and much less dangerous Spider. It can be difficult to dispose of the spawner, as it is surrounded by cobwebs which don't slow the spiders down at all.
- Can climb walls
- Can inflict poison effect
Where they live naturally
- Cave Spiders will be attacked by Witches in the End with no provocation.
- If a Cave Spider is spawned by the player in daylight, it will not attack, even if the player is in Survival Mode. This is because it shares data with Spiders.
- If a Splash Potion of Weakness is used on a Cave Spider, it becomes unable to infict Poison on the Player.
- If a Sword is enchanted with Bane of Arthropods IV or higher, it can instantly kill a Cave Spider.
- Cave Spiders and Silverfish are the only mobs whose spawning is completely unaffected by the command /gamerule doMobSpawning false. This is because they only spawn from spawners and special blocks, which are not affected by the command.
|Hostile||Wither Skeleton • Skeleton • Silverfish • Witch • Spider Jockey • Ghast • Magma Cube • Chicken Jockey • Zombie Villager • Endermite • Blaze • Slime • Creeper • Cave Spider • Zombie|
|Neutral||Spider Jockey • Chicken Jockey • Enderman • Spider • Wolf • Iron Golem • Zombie Pigman|
|Friendly||Squid • Ocelot • Chicken • Villager • Bat • Cow • Mooshroom • Horse • Pig • Snow Golem • Pig • Sheep|
|Unimplemented||Fish (Mob) • Friendly Wither • Redstone Bug • Giant • Human • Rana|
|Boss||Wither • Ender Dragon|