Notesthumb|link=: Potions are a type of items in Minecraft obtained only through Brewing or killing Witches. They can be made using a Brewing Stand and various ingredients. Potions come in two types: normal and splash. Splash potions may be thrown to inflict effects upon other entities; normal potions can be drunk by the player. There are several effects, such as Wither, health absorbtion, and Regeneration IV, that cannot be gotten from a potion (there are Regeneration potions, but they cannot go above II). Milk will remove any potion effect. Note that fire is not a potion effect.
List of potion effects obtainable:
|Healing||Heals entities||I, II||Instant|
|Regeneration||Makes entities heal themselves||I, II||0:45, 2:00, 0:22.5|
|Fire Resistance||Makes entities immune to fire||I||3:00, 8:00|
|Swiftness||Speeds up entities||I, II||1:30, 3:00, 8:00|
|Strength||Makes entities do more damage in melee||I, II||1:30, 3:00, 8:00|
|Night Vision||Brings everything to light level 15 visually||I, II||3:00, 8:00|
|Invisibility||Makes entity (except for armor) disappear||I, II||3:00, 8:00|
|Slowness||Makes entities move slower||I, II||1:30, 4:00|
|Weakness||Makes entities do less melee damage||I, II||1:30, 4:00|
|Poison||Makes health bar go down; cannot kill||I, II||0:45, 2:00|
|Harming||Inflicts damage on entities||I, II||Instant|
List of other potion effects not obtainable by potions:
Note: these effects can be obtained through the /effect command
|Health Absorbtion||4 "backup" health are added while in effect (they will appear yellow)|
|Saturation||Food bar is replenished 1 bar every tick|
|Wither||Health bar turns black and decreases; can kill|
|Hunger||Makes food bar go down faster than normal|
|Health Boost||Gives 4 extra health per level; health goes away when effect ends|
|Blindness||Creates an effect like Void Fog around the player; unable to sprint, inflict critical hits|
|Water Breathing||Keeps air meter constantly full underwater; increases underwater visibility|
|Nausea||Makes the screen wobble and twist|
|Jump Boost||Allows the player to jump over 1.5 blocks|
|Mining Fatigue||Makes player mine blocks slower|
|Haste||Makes player mine blocks faster|
|Resistance||Decreases damage to player|
- pMany people refer to potions as "pots".
- Healing potions harm undead, but harming potions heal them.
- Undead mobs are immune to both Regeneration and Poison potions.
- At an effect of more than V, an entity affected by Slowness could only move by moving while jumping
- At huge levels of Swiftness, an entity could move so fast that chunks would not have time to load. Swiftness also only works while walking; flying and swimming are not affected.
- At Mining Fatigue V or higher, the player becomes unable to mine at all.
- Resistance, Haste, Swiftness, Strength, and Jump Boost are available via Beacons.
- If the player has Jump Boost, they are normally able to jump 1.5 blocks; if a Fence (1.5 blocks) and a slab (0.5 blocks) are put on top of one another, the player will be able to jump over them. This is the only way to jump 2 blocks with Jump Boost.
- There are mobs that would give you unobtainable potions effects such as the Elder Guardian that will give you Mining Fatigue III and the Shulker( New mob in 1.9) gives you Levatation(1.9 new potion effect,lifts you up a block every 0.9 second).