Potions are a type of items in Minecraft obtained only through Brewing or killing Witches. They can be made using a Brewing Stand and various ingredients. Potions come in two types: normal and splash. Splash potions may be thrown to inflict effects upon other entities; normal potions can be drunk by the player. There are several effects, such as Wither, health absorbtion, and Regeneration IV, that cannot be gotten from a potion (there are Regeneration potions, but they cannot go above II). Milk will remove any potion effect. Note that fire is not a potion effect.
List of potion effects obtainable:
|Healing||Heals entities||I, II||Instant|
|Regeneration||Makes entities heal themselves||I, II||0:45, 0:21, 1:30|
|Fire Resistance||Makes entities immune to fire||I||3:00, 8:00|
|Swiftness||Speeds up entities||I, II||1:30, 3:00, 8:00|
|Strength||Makes entities do more damage in melee||I, II||1:30, 3:00, 8:00|
|Night Vision||Brings everything to light level 15 visually||I||3:00, 8:00|
|Invisibility||Makes entity (except for armor) disappear||I||3:00, 8:00|
|Slowness||Makes entities move slower||I, II||1:30, 4:00|
|Weakness||Makes entities do less melee damage||I, II||1:30, 4:00|
|Poison||Makes health bar deplete; cannot kill||I, II||
0:45, 0:21, 1:30
|Harming||Inflicts damage on entities||I, II||Instant|
|Water Breathing||Does not deplete the oxygen bar when underwater.||I||3:00, 8:00|
|Leaping||Allows the player to jump higher.||I, II||1:30, 3:00, 8:00|
List of other potion effects not obtainable by potions:
Note: these effects can be obtained through the /effect command.
|Health Absorption||4 "backup" health are added while in effect (they will appear yellow).|
|Saturation||Food bar is replenished 1 bar every tick.|
|Wither||Health bar turns black and decreases; can kill.|
|Hunger||Makes food bar go down faster than normal.|
|Health Boost||Gives 4 extra health per level; health goes away when the effect ends.|
|Blindness||Creates an effect like Void Fog around the player; unable to sprint or inflict critical hits.|
|Nausea||Makes the screen wobble and twist.|
|Mining Fatigue||Makes player mine blocks slower.|
|Haste||Makes player mine blocks faster.|
|Resistance||Decreases damage to player.|
|Levitation||Causes the player to float upwards at a rate of 0.9 blocks per second.|
|Luck||Increases the player's chance for better rewards from fishing.|
|Bad Luck||Decreases the player's chance for better rewards from fishing.|
|Glowing||Causes the player to glow with an outline that can be seen through blocks.|
- Many people refer to potions as "pots".
- Healing potions harm undead mobs, but harming potions will heal them.
- Undead mobs are immune to both Regeneration and Poison potions.
- At an effect of more than V, an entity affected by Slowness could only move by moving while jumping
- At Mining Fatigue V or higher, the player becomes unable to mine at all.
- Resistance, Haste, Swiftness, Strength, and Jump Boost are available via Beacons.
- If the player has Jump Boost, they are normally able to jump 1.5 blocks; if a Fence (1.5 blocks) and a slab (0.5 blocks) are put on top of one another, the player will be able to jump over them. This is the only way to jump 2 blocks with Jump Boost.
- There are mobs that would give you unobtainable potions effects. For example, Elder Guardians will give you Mining Fatigue III and the Shulker will give you Levitation.